Last Updated on 19/12/2020 by Steve Wanjie
What is wallpaper?
Wallpaper is a material used in interior decorations to decorate the interior walls of domestic, office and public buildings.
How is it sold?
It is usually sold in rolls and is applied onto walls using wallpaper paste. But some wall coverings are self adhesive; you don’t need paste to fix them on the wall.
Why use wallpaper instead of paint?
It is generally cheaper to paint a room than to wallpaper it. That is in the short-term.
The advantages of using wallpaper over paint are;
- Wallpaper has a longer lifespan than paint
- It is not labor intensive. Its easy to apply
- Wallpaper is odorless thus friendly to people allergic to paint smell
- Economically sensible. As long as you use high quality wall covering, it’s cheaper in the long run.
- Wallpapers are dynamic, colorful, warm, and stylish. They give your home or office a distinctive feel of class and modernity.
As long as you use high quality wallpapers, it’s cheaper and economical in the long run.
What is the Best wallpaper?
The best wallpapers are vinyl bound to a cloth or paper backing. Solid sheet vinyl bound wall coverings consist of vinyl bound to a cloth or paper backing.
These coverings are the most rugged, stain resistant and scrub able and make an excellent choice for kitchens. Vinyl is the best choice for a beginning wallpaper hanger.
What is the average lifespan of quality wallpaper?
Good quality wallpaper if properly fixed on the wall can last up to 20 years. Thus, it’s important to hire professional wall coverings technician to do the job.
This makes it a cost-effective durable way to decorate your home, office or business premises. High traffic areas in your home or office should be decorated with wall coverings.
How much wallpaper do you need?
This is how to calculate how much paper you need;
- Measure the length and height of each wall you want decorated.
- Multiply the length and width of each wall to get the area in square feet.
- Add up the area of each wall to get the total area (to be decorated) in square feet.
- Increase the total area by 15% to account for wastage.
The result is your wallpaper requirement in square feet.
How big is one roll of Wallpaper?
One roll is 28 square feet. That is the standard size of wallpapers in the market worldwide.
What is the cost of one roll?
The cost varies depending on quality, design and materials used to manufacture it. The cheapest paper costs not more than $30 or Kenya shillings 3,000 per roll. The highest quality wall covering can cost more than $200 or Kenya shillings 20,000 per roll.
Can you paint over wallpaper?
Painting over wallpaper is generally a bad idea. But there is paintable wallpaper in the market. Paintable wallpapers are the best for both worlds.
How much does it cost to fix a single roll on a wall?
A professional hanger (fundi) will charge an average $30 or Kenya shillings 3000 per roll. But if the wall needs to be worked on first, then you should expect to pay more for wall repairs.
Further reading on this topic: